The Indiana Primary, in bullet point form:
- Hillary won, but not by a lot. Barring any back-door shenanigans, Obama will likely be the nominee. Note: people named Clinton excel at back-door shenanigans.
- Dan Burton won in Congressional District 5. I am officially supporting him in the general against Mary Etta Ruley. Lots more coverage on this particular race to come.
- Beverly Gard won handily, and should roll over Mike Brinegar in the general, but you’ll see more on that race here in the future.
- Shockingly, Andre Carson held on to win in Democrat D7, because apparently it doesn’t matter if you have any actual political positions as long as you have the right name.
- If Obama wins West Virginia, I will eat my hat. And I like this hat a lot.
The primary was a nice warm-up for the general, I will say that. Although in the past few years District 5 has been relatively safe for Republicans and will in all likelihood continue to be so for this year, I am not taking anything for granted.
As far as the Democratic nomination goes, it probably will be Obama, as I said above. However, I also have a hard imagining Obama winning in Kentucky and West Virginia, so who knows?