Master Jeff Wade, of South Miami TaeKwonDo is here to help you learn how to defend yourself. Thanks to our buddies at Every Day, No Days Off for cluing me in to Sensei Jeff, who has now FOREVER CHANGED my thoughts on defensive handgunning. Here is the direct link to Sensei Jeff’s first video which I like to call “How to Get Shot in the Leg“. Watch the video. After you’ve facepalmed yourself out of your chair, get back up and let’s have a look second by second at what’s going on in this video. I’ll just put my thoughts as they came in to my head with corresponding time indexes.
- 0:11 – Oh good, he’s a Black Belt in TKD that means that he’s had thousands of hours of uh…dojo work.
- 0:14-20 – How do you disarm a pistol? Wouldn’t you disarm the person? And why would someone be casually pointing a pistol at my groin instead of, oh I don’t know, my chest or head?
- 0:33 – Wow, that’s a really realistic airsoft gun, it even has…Crimson Trace…that’s a real gun holy s***.
- 0:35 – Wait, if that guy’s finger was on the trigger like it would likely be if he was a real mugger, that gun would go off the second Sensei Jeff rotated it like that. Wow.
- 0:57 – Boy, it’s a good thing that red belt guy isn’t holding his gun with two hands like a professional would.
- 1:06 – aaaaannnddd he just dry fired that gun without chamber checking it. Fail.
- 1:22 – Booby trapped? Why would a mugger point a booby-trapped gun at you? What the hell?
- 1:24 – “Pack the slide”? I have now officially reached “what is this I don’t even” because my brain cannot deal with what I’m seeing right now.
- 1:33 – Of course he goes directly to the thoroughly tactical Weaver-Teacup grip. /me facepalms
There has been a lot of conversation about “training” lately. This is a perfect example of “bad training that could actually get you killed”. Gun takeaways are the stupidest idea in all of the martial arts community. Are there some people that are fast enough and skilled enough to disarm an attacker by taking away their gun? Sure, but the same way that not every shooter is Jerry Miculek, not every martial artist is Bruce Lee.
Set ups like what you see in Sensei Jeff’s video are a great way to get people hurt. Since most fights don’t take place between two dudes in gis, one of whom is a willing patsy, taking a gun away from an attacker determined to hurt you very badly wouldn’t go nearly as easily as Sensei Jeff wants you to believe. Just like you can’t actually disassemble a Beretta Lethal Weapon 4 style, trying to grab the gun out of an attacker’s hand is a really, really good way to get yourself shot.