There are some people who think that McCain could have “called off” the Secret Service and allowed carry into the Celebration of American Values forum.
Allow me (via Heartless Libertarian) to demonstrate exactly why these people are wrong. President Bush will be visiting Fort Bragg to attend an event of the 82nd Airborne, one of the most decorated and honored units in the history of our military, and here is a list of the Secret Service restrictions for our own soldiers:
1. No bolts in the weapons. They can not come to the review,
must stay at unit area.
2. Take out the Springs to all Magazines. These will be
checked. To include 9MM
3. Operating Rods taken out of the 240 and 249’s
4. Staging area has changed. I will send out New diagram and
also talk with the BDE CSM’s this morning.
5. Ensure Your personnel don’t have any Knives, Dog Tags,
Watches, Cell Phones Leatherman of any type, nothing in their pockets,
No keys, Lazer type pointers And No Liquids except for the Canteen.
Anything found on the soldiers will be taken away and not returned. If
a weapon of any type is found on the person then they will be set to the
side and Secret service will deal with.
6. ALL First Sergeants, SGM’s And CSM’s will help with the
inspection of all soldiers as they move thru the Medal Detector area.
Will explain at the rehearsal.
7. Once a Trooper is in the Steral(sic) Area he or she can not leave
8. Do not attach the Bayonet to the FLC until after the
inspection. Will explain at Rehearsal
Now, if the Secret Service is going to do that to our own military when the sitting President visits, do you really believe that McCain, a mere candidate, could have called them off a room full of civilians? Come on, it’s patently ridiculous, and you know it.