Smith & Wesson M&P-22

It is actually here – consider this S&W’s apology for the Governor!  The new M&P-22 is exactly what we’d hoped for, a .22 LR version of the M&P pistol, which has the exact same dimensions at the 9mm and .40 S&W pistols.  If you’re looking for a dedicated .22LR trainer to go with your M&P pistol, now you have the option.

It does have a thumb safety, some users will like this, some won’t, but the nice thing about this is that if you have the M&P without the thumb safety, don’t use it.  If you have the M&P with the thumb safety, you can practice with your .22 LR trainer the same way you would with a full-size gun.  This is the kind of stuff I’m excited to see from S&W, and I can’t wait until these hit shelves.

17 comments for “Smith & Wesson M&P-22

1. pdb
    January 18, 2011 at 02:49

Did they talk price at all? This doesn’t look like a $250 pot metal .22 like the Walther.

2. January 18, 2011 at 03:02

Estimated retail?

3. January 18, 2011 at 03:11

Great… now give me one with a threaded barrel.

• Jesse
      January 18, 2011 at 05:37

If you look closely you’ll notice that it looks like it has a threaded barrel with a thread protector direct from the factory similar set up to the GSG 1911 22 or the Walther P22.

Given S&W’s relation to Walther I wouldn’t be surprised if the gun in fact uses a Walther barrel which would be nice because if that’s the case you might be able to use the P22 adapter.

4. January 18, 2011 at 03:14

Oh and yes, I do actually have a can to use with it; and yes, that’s why I want the threaded barrel.

I gave my p22 away, and don’t have a .22 semi-auto to replace it with yet. I’ve been trying to decide what to replace it with for months now.

At the moment, I’m leaning towards a .22 conversion for one of my 1911s; but none of them run reliably with a can.

As that’s my primary criteria, I may just end up with the Buckmark and a threaded barrel; but I’d rather something more like a service weapon (I’ve got huge hands).

5. Jeff
    January 18, 2011 at 06:08

Hopefully someone will come out with a plug to replace the safety lever. Sure I can not use it, but I’m concerned the gun will feel a bit different with a lever there.
    The one advantage of the safety is it’ll be MA dealer compliant without a horrendous trigger.

I would’ve preferred replacement slides and mags rather than a separate gun, but this is way better than nothing. I’d also love a pro series version that’s the same dimensions as my 9Pro competition gun.

6. January 18, 2011 at 07:42

I really like this idea, allowing me to use a trainer as with the same dimensions of my carry gun. I still have a few questions specifically price but that will all come in good time.

7. January 18, 2011 at 08:47

Personally, I run the thumb safety on my M&P9, so I’m more than happy to see it there.

However, I know from experience that some holsters will not work with the thumb safety, so some users may run into that problem.

8. Ladyfox
    January 18, 2011 at 10:22

Nice to see this is 100% confirmed now all I have to ask is when and how much? ^_^

9. D.Hamilton
    January 18, 2011 at 12:47

I am still curious, is this an M&P in .22 or is it a .22 made to look like an M&P?

10. Dwight
    January 18, 2011 at 17:38

And is it more of a 45 full size or the 9mm/40s&w full size frame?

11. Dan
    January 19, 2011 at 10:41

Caleb PLEASE PLEASE stop by LWRC and see what new toys they might have.

12. Gavin S.
    January 20, 2011 at 07:12

Is the slide made of pot metal is what I want to know. I understand the thinking behind this for cost saving, but I’d still like a firearm the doesn’t feel like a chicom POS in the hand.

13. Tobias
    January 21, 2011 at 07:44

Any chance you could stop by the S&W booth and confirm or deny the threaded barrel?
    /fingers crossed for threaded barrel…

14. Tobias
    January 22, 2011 at 09:55

The SHOT pistol could be threaded, but who knows if the production ones will. I did find a better picture of it and blew it up so you can see the end more clearly. I posted it on my blog if anyone cares to see it here:

15. Don
    January 23, 2011 at 15:14

This is great news. I have a Sig Mosquito but I be buying one of these as well. I think SA and Glock should do the same. I’d love a .22LR trainer for my XDm. Better yet, each manufacture should build reliable .22LR conversion kits and mags for there full size guns so that we can use our holsters and mag pouches as well. Very cool!

16. January 24, 2011 at 22:56

I am really, really happy that it sounds like the size is the same as the standard M&P9, 40, 357Sig. That means it will fit my gear and I will save thousands on full-power ammo. I have had them on backorder since before my wholesaler’s reps even knew they were receiving them. Yes. I get the first one, but it looks like the rest (if nothing changes) will sell for a cash discount price of about $379.99. Shameless plug, I know, but the wait will probably be long, so the sooner you get on the list, the sooner you will get your gun. Call or stop by for details on how to get in line! http://www.norpointrange.com or email andy@norpointrange.com

Comments are closed.